MacOS Big Sur the latest version of the Macintosh operating system. It is the successor of the MacOS Catalina. Apple is standing behind Microsoft Windows in terms of most users. It covers more than 12% of computer users all around the world. If you are one of those Mac users, you may change your computer password time in time due to privacy concerns. What if, you forgot your password. Don’t worry, today we guide you to Reset MacOS Big Sur Forgotten Password in three very easy methods without losing data.
Bear in mind, these methods are not only for MacOS Big Sur. They are also usable for other Macintosh operating systems. Such as MacOS Catalina, MacOS X El Capitan, MacOS High Sierra, and others. As well, you can use these methods on Virtual Machines such as VMware and Virtual Box. In case, you are not a Macintosh user, you can install any version of MacOS on your PC using a Virtual Machine. So, These password resetting methods also work for Virtual Machine.
In the first method, we are going to use Apple ID to reset MacOS forgotten password. So, to complete the task you need your Apple ID synced with your Mac Computer. In the second method, we use Macintosh Recovery mode to reset the password. In the third method, we show you how to reset MacOS forgotten password using Bootable disk. Well, these methods are very easy and simple. Moreover, you can reset the password in no time, it just takes a couple of minutes.
How to Reset MacOS Big Sur Forgotten Password using Apple ID? 1st Method
To reset the MacOS Big Sur password by Apple ID, you need to have access to your Apple ID. And, a stable internet connection to access your Apple ID. Bear in mind, your data is safe, this procedure will not delete a single file from your computer. Let’s jump into the steps.
- After turning on your computer. Enter your previous password. Afterward, you enter the password three times. The Password Hint will appear below. Now click on the “(>)” arrow icon.
- Now, enter your Apple ID correctly. and click on “Reset Password”.
- After you click on the Reset Password pop-up window will appear with a message, “If you change the password for this user account, you will create a new keychain to store the user’s Password”. Now, click on the “OK” button.
- Be patient until your computer boot and the Reset Password windows will appear.
- In the final step. Enter a “New Password”, “Verify Password”, and provide a Hint for your password. Then click on the “Set Password” button.
- Now, you have reset the forgotten password of your computer. Just “Restart” your computer and Enter the new password.
How to Reset MacOS Big Sur Forgotten Password using Recovery Mode? 2nd Method
In case, you cannot provide Apple ID or you forgot the ID. Take it easy, because you can reset your MacOS Big Sur, or any other MacOS by Recovery Mode using the Mac Terminal. The second method is also safe and there are zero chances of losing data. So, we are going to show you How to reset MacOS Big Sur forgotten password using Recovery Mode.
- After turning on your computer, press and hold the “Command + R” keys. Remember to press and hold the keys until the MacOS Utilities appear on the screen.
- Now click on “Terminal” from the “Utilities” menu to open the Mac terminal.
- Type resetpassword (without space) in the terminal and press enter key.
- Wait until you see the “Reset Password” window.
- Afterward, type a “New Password”, “Verify Password”, and enter a “Password Hint”, and click on the “Next” button.
- After getting the password notification. “Restart” your computer and enter the New Password to log in.
How to Reset MacOS Big Sur Forgotten Password by Bootable disk? 3rd Method
If non of the above solutions helped you to reset MacOS big Sur forgotten password or any other Macintosh operating system. Don’t worry, because we have another solution to your problem. You can reset the password with a bootable disk. Take heed, before getting into the procedure make sure you have a MacOS bootable USB drive.
- Insert the bootable disk into the DVD/CD ROM and “Restart” your computer.
- Now Press and Hold the “C” key to boot from the disk.
- Select “language preferences”.
- From the “Utilities” menu click on “Reset Password”.
- Afterward, Enter a “New Password”, “Verify Password”, provide a password hint.
- Now “Restart” your computer and log in with the new password.
- How to Update MacOS Big Sur to the Latest version?
- Install MacOS Catalina on VMware – Ultimate Guide
- How to Split Screen on Mac Computer? 3 Different methods
Today, we brought to you 3 different methods to Reset MacOS (Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, and others) forgotten password. I hope these methods help you to complete the task. In case of any problem never hesitate to contact us. Let us know your ideas in the comment section.